1. Find an apartment in Germany. Make sure you get an apartment that will allow you to get a city registration (Anmeldung), you will need it to get your residence permit.
2. Register your apartment (Anmeldung). You need to get an appointment at a Bürgeramt in your city. The required documents will be the following:
- The confirmation from the landlord (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung). It is a document you get when you move into an apartment.
- The filled Anmeldung form.
- (If applicable) Marriage certificate.
3. Get a German bank account.
4. Get your medical insurance.
5. Register with the Tax Office.
6. Make an appointment with the relevant Foreigner’s Office (Ausländerbehörde) with the following documents:
- Application for a residence permit form. Only required when applying for a residence permit for the first time
- 2 passport photos complying with biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
- (If applicable) Professional authorization
- Proof of residence in Germany
- Lease or proof of home ownership
- Rental cost / expenses for property
Average time of processing the residence permit application is about 5-6 weeks. If possible, book an appointment 4 to 6 weeks before the entry visa or the previous residence permit expires.